Are you a strong data driven analyst and team manager, who shares our organisation’s values and passion for improving the lives of young people through education?
We are undergoing a period of exciting change and our newly reformed Analytics and Data Science department is looking for an inspirational manager who can lead a team of Analysts and Data Scientists. The team is responsible for helping colleagues across AQA to understand how the business is performing through analysis of our data and supporting assessment research and quality standards setting. The role will be key in its contribution to our data analysis projects and in supporting our Research and Regulations team towards the vision of shaping world class practice across the education sector.
We’re looking for an Analytics Manager with excellent people skills and an ability to understand and grasp complex business products and processes. As our Analytics Manager you will have the opportunity to work across AQA building relationships and collaborating with colleagues and partners across the organisation and more widely - helping us to deliver our business objectives.
What you’ll do
• Provide analytical and data science services that support and enhance business performance,including the management and monitoring of marking and post-results activity.
• Utilise and manage AQA’s data assets and relevant technology to support and enhance business performance, and produce the data and analysis that underpin AQA’s standards, research and regulation functions.
• Evaluate evidence and make decisions in complex, open ended situations, and create and deliver detailed analysis and insights.
• Provide line management and leadership to a small team of Data Analysts, engendering high levels of performance by modelling best practice in AQA’s leadership habits and by modelling and championing AQA’s values and behaviours.
What you’ll have
• In-depth, recent specialist knowledge of analytical technologies and methodologies and their purposes, uses and potential impact.
• A broad understanding of databases, data structures, data visualisation and data mining.
• High level of numeracy with a good understanding of quantitative analytical techniques and their implementation in programming environments such as R or Python.
• The ability to think analytically, to understand and synthesise complex, diverse and incomplete information and to present reasoned arguments.
• The ability to interpret complex quantitative and qualitative information to support sound decision-making.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills, able to influence and build rapport with a diverse range of stakeholders internally and externally and to be a role model for a partnership based matrix style of working.
• Experience of team management and leadership.
• Willingness and aptitude to keep abreast of developments in data science through formal and informal training and development, and external networking.
A degree or equivalent in an analytical, technical or mathematical discipline, or demonstrable experience for the required role.
This role provides leadership to a team that is split across sites, and candidates should be prepared for a significant level of travel.
AQA are an independent education charity and the largest provider of academic qualifications taught in schools and colleges. With a turnover of over £170m, we set and mark papers for around half of all GCSEs and A-levels. In the summer of 2018 we awarded over 3 million qualifications. Born out of five leading universities, we have over a century of qualifications expertise. Today, we employ more than 800 people across six locations and work with around 30,000 teachers, lecturers, subject experts and academics, who help set and mark our exams.
Our charitable purpose:
To advance education by enabling teachers and students to realise their potential. This is our ‘higher’ purpose and ambition that encompasses everything we do; it’s what we are passionate about, what inspires us and what makes a difference to all our customers, stakeholders and society.
At AQA we recognise our employees’ contribution and in return we are proud to offer an extensive reward and benefit package. This includes –
• Competitive salary
• 25 days annual leave rising to 30 days, plus all Bank Holidays and additional Christmas leave
• Highly competitive contributory pension scheme with company contributions
• An enhanced maternity/paternity and sick pay scheme
• 5 paid days per year for voluntary service
In addition we offer support for qualifications and several lifestyle benefits including flexible working, social activities and an employee assistance programme.
AQA’s main two offices are in Guildford and Manchester and are located on the towns’ University Campuses with train stations and several car parks within walking distance. Both have an onsite subsidised Bistro and breakout areas as well as access to outdoor areas on the campuses and good access to local shopping and transportation networks.
How to apply
To apply for this role, in one document, please submit the following to our website:
An up to date copy of your CV along with a supporting statement that addresses the criteria set out, using examples to demonstrate how you meet the essential requirements. Please include your current and expected salary.
Closing date for applications is 10am 23rd April 2019. Interviews will be held from week commencing: 23rd April 2019.
Applications will be reviewed as we receive them and if a suitable candidate is identified, we reserve the right to close our adverts sooner.
No applications from agencies, thank you.
AQA is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. AQA is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and post holders to share this commitment. Our Safeguarding Policy is available on our website.