We’re looking for an Analyst/Data Scientist to join our newly transformed Analytics and Data Science team. The Analytics and Data Science team are responsible for helping the business to understand how it is performing through the optimisation of data assets to support and enhance our business performance and to support our assessment research functions and standards setting. The department plays a key role in helping to establish our vision of shaping world class practice across the education sector.
As our Analyst and Data Scientist you will have the opportunity to build your expertise and understanding of our products and processes and build relationships across AQA and occasionally more widely to deliver our business objectives. You’ll work right at the heart of AQA.
What you’ll do
• Work with the Lead Analyst and Analytics Mangers to provide analytical and data science services that support and enhance business performance.
• Support senior staff in Analytics and Data Science to make recommendations and decisions in complex, open-ended situations.
• Apply and develop specialist knowledge of appropriate software and technologies and data analysis techniques.
• Alongside team and colleagues work collaboratively to achieve team vision, modelling AQA’s values and behaviours.
What you’ll have
• Excellent understanding of a diverse range of mathematical analysis techniques, statistics and reporting.
• A broad understanding of databases, data structures and their interrogation including a willingness to acquire a detailed knowledge and understanding of AQA’s databases.
• Knowledge of coding including ideally experience in applying R and other programming languages such as Python in contexts such as data mining, machine learning, or pattern recognition.
• Excellent general IT skills and the aptitude to learn new packages and processes.
• Experience of contributing to data science and/or analytics projects in a high stakes regulated environment.
• Recent experience of using appropriate technologies to deliver analytical and data science solutions.
• Experience of communicating with and influencing senior internal and external stakeholders.
Ideally a degree in an analytical, technical or mathematical discipline, or demonstrable experience for the role.
AQA are an independent education charity and the largest provider of academic qualifications taught in schools and colleges. With a turnover of over £170m, we set and mark papers for around half of all GCSEs and A-levels. In the summer of 2018 we awarded over 3 million qualifications. Born out of five leading universities, we have over a century of qualifications expertise. Today, we employ more than 800 people across six locations and work with around 30,000 teachers, lecturers, subject experts and academics, who help set and mark our exams.
Our charitable purpose:
To advance education by enabling teachers and students to realise their potential. This is our ‘higher’ purpose and ambition that encompasses everything we do; it’s what we are passionate about, what inspires us and what makes a difference to all our customers, stakeholders and society.
At AQA we recognise our employees’ contribution and in return we are proud to offer an extensive reward and benefit package. This includes –
• Competitive salary
• 25 days annual leave rising to 30 days, plus all Bank Holidays and additional Christmas leave
• Highly competitive contributory pension scheme with company contributions
• An enhanced maternity/paternity and sick pay scheme
• 5 paid days per year for voluntary service
In addition we offer support for qualifications and several lifestyle benefits including flexible working, social activities and an employee assistance programme.
AQA’s main two offices are in Guildford and Manchester and are located on the towns’ University Campuses with train stations and several car parks within walking distance. Both have an onsite subsidised Bistro and breakout areas as well as access to outdoor areas on the campuses and good access to local shopping and transportation networks.
How to apply
To apply for this role, in one document, please submit the following to our website:
An up to date copy of your CV along with a Supporting Statement that addresses the criteria set out, using examples to demonstrate how you meet the essential requirements. Please include your current and expected salary.
Closing date for applications is 10am 23rd April 2019. Interviews will be held from week commencing: 23rd April 2019.
Applications will be reviewed as we receive them and if a suitable candidate is identified, we reserve the right to close our adverts sooner.
No applications from agencies, thank you.
AQA is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. AQA is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and post holders to share this commitment. Our Safeguarding Policy is available on our website.