We are recruiting a Head of Operational Projects, to lead a team of business change project managers, responsible for the inception, planning and successful delivery of key business and technological projects, which will directly contribute to operational excellence within the Operations Group.
These projects will include both technical and process changes, to support the introduction of new products and services, and to ensure AQA remains compliant with any new or changing requirements from the industry regulator.
The Head of Operational Projects will engage with key stakeholders both internally and externally and will mobilise team members as required from across AQA business areas, up to and including the respective Leadership Teams, to deliver the business change required.
In this role you’ll be:
• An experienced and effective people manager, able to direct and coach team members to improve performance and realise their career potential.
• Analysing complex situations and issues, leading the team in managing multiple inter-dependent change-related activities driven by different programmes and stakeholder requirements. Working in a matrix-managed environment with competing change needs and drivers.
• Influencing a wide range of stakeholders (up to Exec level) to manage conflicting requirements, demands and priorities.
• Matrix-managing teams undergoing substantial change, and be building collaborative and high-performing teams through this change.
• Developing a critical path of key activities, providing planning support and identifying and managing dependencies across the plans.
• Communicating on a wide level: engaging internal colleagues, external partners and business stakeholders at all levels, ensuring clarity of requirements, the positioning of proposed solutions and securing the buy-in to those proposed solutions.
• Needing to be self-sufficient and dynamic, capable of hitting the ground running.
Key experience / expertise sought:
• Experience of delivering successful change projects/programmes and continuous improvement initiatives.
• Experience of managing IT projects or working within IT enabled transformation programmes.
• Significant experience in both leading teams directly and delivering through matrix management
• Strong collaborative communicator with an analytical mind set and able to interpret and report back complex information in a meaningful way.
• Prince 2 accredited or similar relevant professional qualification.
• Degree level or equivalent experience desirable.
We are an independent education charity and the largest provider of academic qualifications taught in schools and colleges. With a turnover of over £170m, we set and mark papers for around half of all GCSEs and A-levels. In the summer of 2018 we will award over 3 million qualifications. Born out of five leading universities, we have over a century of qualifications expertise. Today, we employ more than 800 people and work with around 30,000 teachers, lecturers, subject experts and academics, who help set and mark our exams.
At AQA we recognise our employees’ contribution and in return we are proud to offer an extensive reward and benefit package. This includes –
• 25 days annual leave rising to 30 days, plus all Bank Holidays and additional Christmas leave
• 5 paid days per year for voluntary service
• Excellent contributory pension scheme
• Life assurance
• An enhanced maternity/paternity and sick pay scheme
No agencies, thank you.
AQA is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. AQA is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and post holders to share this commitment. Our Safeguarding Policy is available on our website.
How to apply
To apply, please upload your CV and covering letter including your current and expected salary as one document via our website.
Closing date for applications is 26 March 2019, with interviews commencing from w/c 1 April 2019.